Music publishers sign, develop, protect and value music. Music publishing is often regarded as being one of the most complex areas of the music industry. We don’t think so. If you want to get complete and accurate information about music publishing straight from the experts come join us at the MPA!
Founded in 1881, and still at the forefront of the industry, the Music Publishers Association is the trade association for the UK’s world-leading music publishers. Our publisher membership of over 260 companies represents more than 4,000 catalogues across all genres, including much of the world’s best loved music.
Student membership was launched in January 2017 as an initiative to give students access to the training courses and events held by the MPA at a discounted cost and ultimately to see further engagement between the industry and individuals pursuing a career in this area. Whether as future employees or entrepreneurs, student members will benefit from easy access to information and contacts.
To be eligible for MPA student membership a prospective applicant must be a full time UK student between the ages of 18 and 26 and in possession of either a valid NUS or respective university student card. Please note that students employed by music publishing companies or other organisations associated with the MPA are not eligible for this membership category.
As a student member you will enjoy the following benefits:
• A student member profile on the online MPA member directory putting your credentials in the sightline of music business professionals who are looking to discover new and upcoming talent (please note that this will not be available until the new MPA website launches in 2017).
• The ability to apply for a ‘pitch yourself’ session – a mock interview and chance to sell yourself or present ideas and innovations to a panel of music publishing experts and MPA members and gain first-hand feedback from potential employers.
• Full member discounts on all MPA training, including the MPA Induction for Newcomers to Music Publishing and the MMF/MPA Professional Development Programme.
• Our regular monthly e-newsletter to keep you up-to-date on MPA matters, industry developments, events and offers.
• Attendance at a free exclusive student member only networking event in London with established music publishers to learn about their paths into the industry, their top tips for success and to find out first-hand what it means to work in music publishing.
• Discounted or free attendance at selected member social events throughout the year, including our unsigned showcase event MPA Presents in partnership with the PRS for Music Foundation where you can hang out with the publishing world’s finest.
The fee for student membership is £50 (inclusive of VAT) per year, prorated according to when a member joins. Membership lasts from 1st January until 31st December each year and student members can renew their membership for a maximum of four consecutive years.
Please note that memberships are subject to approval by the MPA Board. A special discounted fee of £35 (inclusive of VAT) will be offered during this, our inaugural, year.
Ready to join?
If you would like to find out more about our services, benefits or activities or if you’re ready to apply contact Nico.Evans@mpagroup.com who will be happy to assist. You can download the application form below.