MPA Richard Toeman Scholarship
MPA Richard Toeman Scholarship
The MPA Richard Toeman Scholarship Scheme is designed to support the progress of outstanding individuals within the music publishing industry; to encourage potential, or new, recruits to the industry to develop their skills and experience through study; and to encourage each year’s recipient to achieve an enhanced preparedness for a successful career in the music publishing industry.
Richard Toeman was admired and respected throughout our industry. What better way to pay tribute to him than with this award.
Stephen Navin, ex-chief executive, MPA
The Scholarship is named in memory of Richard Toeman who died suddenly in March 2005 following a very successful 40-year career at Josef Weinberger Ltd. Throughout his career Richard gave generously of his time and expertise to the MPA and to the music publishing business as a whole.
Each year applications are accepted from individuals who are permanently resident in the UK and:
- have been working within the music publishing business for FIVE years or less;
- are in their FINAL year of a music or music business degree course, who have ideally (but not necessarily) studied music publishing as part of that degree and who are intending to pursue a career in music publishing;
- graduated from a music or music business degree course the previous year and who are intending to pursue a career in music publishing.
Applications must be supported by a reference either from the applicant’s line manager or, in the case of students or recent graduates, the applicant’s Head of Department or equivalent.
2016 MPA Richard Toeman Scholarship Award
The Award takes the form of packages of support designed to meet the needs of either existing music publishing employees who are new to the business, or final year students/recent graduates. Two winners are chosen each year. The package awarded to the winner in the respective categories is as follows:
Music publishing employee
A place on the following courses during the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017
* MPA Induction Course
* MPA/MMF Music Publishing Professional Development Course – all modules
* Two MPA specialist training seminars
Final year student / recent graduate
* A place on the MPA Induction Course during the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017.
* Assistance in securing a relevant and paid work placement, plus contribution of £450 towards employer’s cost of hosting the placement, to take place during the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017.
* Attendance at either an MPA Classical Social or MPA Pop Social – a great networking opportunity – during the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017.
* £500 towards further relevant training of the applicant’s choosing (subject to the advance approval of the MPA Education and Training Group)
* A substantial discounted price for all MPA training events taking place during the period 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2018.
* Each year both winners will also be invited to meet previous winners, members of the MPA Education & Training Group and other invited guests at a small networking event.
The two winning applicants will also receive professional career coaching of their choice.
How to apply
Applications for the 2016 Award are now open. To apply, please download and complete the below application form and return to email@example.com.
The deadline date for applications is Monday 25th April.
“I 100% got my job because of the Richard Toeman Scholarship. Attending the MPA’s induction course and networking events put me in a room full of the people I needed to be speaking to. - Nicholas Gibbons, 2015 winner
I was thrilled to receive a 2014 Richard Toeman Scholarship, not least because it enabled me to take on professional training in subjects like leadership and personal impact - important skills for promotion, and ones for which formal training is not normally available in a small office. The chance to undertake publishing-specific training and to meet people across the industry is also an amazing bonus. - Louisa Hungate, 2014 winner
MPA Richard Toeman Scholarship Founding Donors:
ABRSM (Publishing) Ltd • Ariel Music • Bourne Music Ltd • Bug Music Ltd • Catalyst Music Publishing Ltd • EMI Music Publishing Ltd • Menace Music Ltd • Mute Song Ltd • Rock Music Company Ltd • Silva Screen Music (Publishers) Ltd • Songstream Music • Sony/ATV Music Publishing (UK) Ltd • SJ Music • Stainer & Bell Ltd • Woza Music